I receive constantly support requests about my plugin Codestyling Localization and have to figure out, what is the real problem behind the reported incident. This is annoying and stops me going on with development as fast as I could do. In 99.9% of all cases this is forced by a Theme or Plugin, which injects its own scripts into each and every backend page. To stop this high ammount of support activity I decided to protect my plugin against such incidents. Starting version 1.99.21 it introduces a “Scripting Guard”. Read the rest of this entry »
Since days I got incomming questions about my plugin “Codestyling Localization” with the same problem: “Why does it not work?” I spent a lot time to find the reason for, thanks to a commenteer pointing me to the e-Commerce WordPress plugin. After activation of this plugin, my plugin suspends its functionality.
After investigation of e-Commerce I was shocked. I found code at this plugin showing a lot of ignorance in programming a plugin and doesn’t play cooperative with any other plugins or themes! Read the rest of this entry »
I got a lot of questions about IDN Sites not proper working with my translation plugin CodeStyling Localization. In the first shot I did some tests to find out, what is going wrong but didn’t got an error. It tooks me hours to find out, that the issue depends on browser and also mainly at WordPress itself. But where does it come from?
Digging deeper at WordPress and also after a lot debug code placed into my plugin, I found the root cause of this ugly problem. It is very interesting, what can be found at cross browser behavior. Read the rest of this entry »
I did the last changes for this plugin several month ago. Because currently I run into an extra ordinary amount of support forced by the extreme memory consumption of WordPress Version 3.0 and above, some changes to this plugin were necessary and have been done. A lot of people in the world are waiting for a translatable version too.
I also realized wishes from the community and from my email list with proposals. Also some interesting reminder out of the comments on this blog have been introduced at this new version now. Read the rest of this entry »
I was searching for a good solution to provide content also for Mobile Devices without any changes to content. I found the WPTouch at the WordPress repository and checked it.
Beside the functional check I also tested the localization aspects and it turns out, that this GPL version is intentionally crippled for translations!
Hard words you would think, but I will show you why directing to the Pro Version with costs is only a bad alibi and can’t stand a proof. Read the rest of this entry »
Since few month often problems occured with the translation files (*.po) my plugin war creating. PoEdit was able to load them but failed to save the language file after translation and shows up a lot of error messages. Futhermore my plugin was able to create non standard language files (*.mo) this way.
I found the issue finally and wrote again a bugfix at my plugin. With version 1.99.1 this was solved and meets the way PoEdit expect it. Read the rest of this entry »
Translating BuddyPress will raise a lot of problems if tried with my plugin. First of all BuddyPress will be distributed and bundled automatically with bbPress forum software. If it gets scanned now to find all contained text phrases the texts from bbPress will be scanned too even if they are doesn’t belong to BuddyPress. The second problem is, that both plugins are using the same default textdomain.
I did solve both of this issues and did extend my plugin to cope with this. Read the rest of this entry »
I have noticed after a lot reports from different users, that something went wrong while using jQuery 1.3.2 and Microsoft Internet Explorer 8 in normal v8 mode (not compatible mode). The effect of this bug is very annoying, all your handler using methods to show and hide portions of you webpage won’t do anything or if they are interacting, than they are not doing what you want.
Again i did a deep investigation what is the reason for and also checked, if this is known currently. I found it and will show a workaround here. Read the rest of this entry »
Some time ago i was asked by a friend of mine if there is no easy solution to get pages edited at column layout without a knownledge about HTML and CSS simply at the editors. It should be a little bit flexible und easy to use. The upcomming solution was the plugin “Page Columnist”.
Unfortunately the plugin did only support static pages of WordPress. Furthermore i was astonished during release of WordPress 2.8 that the plugin didn’t produce any longer columns but nevertheless did some it’s normal work as internally designed for. Read the rest of this entry »
Some time ago i introduced a demo-plugin which shows how to deal with metaboxes inside your own admin pages based on WordPress 2.7 and higher. I’ve tested the WordPress 2.8 version and found out, that somehow the right sidebar have had disappeared. The reason of this behavoir has been detected at the new column based layout of admin metaboxed pages. Now the user are able to configure, how many columns the admin page should consist of. This can be seen as example at the dashboard where upto 4 columns now been supported. Read the rest of this entry »